I Want That Cupcake!
If you find that the "cupcake" has you in its firm grip, it's also important to ask why. And, this "cupcake" can be any food that you just can't seem to resist, and sometimes will go in search of. I totally know what that feels like. It wasn't too long ago that I would see a piece of carrot cake or banana pudding (two of my all-time favorite treats) and HAVE to have some. No matter what. Done deal. No thought what-so-ever on WHY I wouldn't (or couldn't) pass it up. This also held true for other tempting foods.
What happens after you have the "cupcake"? If you're anything like I was, you are feeling a little (or a lot) guilty; feeling like you let yourself down. You know you are trying to eat less and stick to your diet, but when it comes right down to it, you want that "cupcake"! And you will HAVE that "cupcake"!
Why? One word... Sugar
Yep! Imagine that. The more sugar you eat, the more ADDICTED you become to sugar, and the more addicted you become to sugar, the HARDER it is to resist those cravings. And, the cravings don't have to be sweet either. Your "cupcake" can be any food.
FACT: This molecule (sugar) is not a natural part of metabolism and humans do not produce it. In fact, very few cells in the body can make use of it except liver cells. When we eat a lot of sugar, most of the fructose gets metabolized by the liver. There it gets turned into fat, which is then secreted into the blood.
Also, certain foods, particularly fats and sweets, actually change the brain chemistry in a way that drives some people to over-consume and create a powerful desire for food. Extremely sweet or fatty foods captivate the brain's reward circuit in much the same way that cocaine and gambling do. What!?
It's imperative that you break the sugar habit! It's a matter of life and death.
From an article written on Mercola's website. Here are some of the effects that consuming too much sugar has on your health:
- It overloads and damages your liver. The effects of too much sugar or fructose can be likened to the effects of alcohol. All the fructose you eat gets shuttled to the only organ that has the transporter for it: your liver. This severely taxes and overloads the organ, leading to potential liver damage.
- It tricks your body into gaining weight and affects your insulin and leptin signaling. Fructose fools your metabolism by turning off your body's appetite-control system. It fails to stimulate insulin, which in turn fails to suppress ghrelin, or "the hunger hormone," which then fails to stimulate leptin or "the satiety hormone." This causes you to eat more and develop insulin resistance
- It causes metabolic dysfunction. Eating too much sugar causes a barrage of symptoms known as classic metabolic syndrome. These include weight gain, abdominal obesity, decreased HDL and increased LDL, elevated blood sugar, elevated triglycerides, and high blood pressure.
- It increases your uric acid levels. High uric acid levels are a risk factor for heart and kidney disease. In fact, the connection between fructose, metabolic syndrome, and your uric acid is now so clear that your uric acid level can now be used as a marker for fructose toxicity.
Other harmful effects:
- Fatty liver disease
- Chronic diseases such as Alzheimers, hypertension, Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, dementia, and lipid problems .
The only way to combat this is to LIMIT your sugar consumption and eat as clean and natural as you can with 80%-90% of your diet. DECIDING that you are NOT going to live like this any more is the first step. There is NO pill, NO magic drink, NO wrap, or NO weight loss shake that can do this for you. Nothing but good nutrition and exercise is your answer.
Sweat it out and make healthy choices.
I have done everything I could get my hands on over the years to lose weight and break my sugar habit and nothing worked... but I found a solution! Yes I did!
Fitness Programs + Nutrition + Support + Accountability = Success
Are you interested in a non-judgement space where you can receive support, nutrition tips and advice, inspiration, empowerment tools, and more? I welcome you to join my community on Facebook - Empowering Your Life & Unleash Your Inner Vibe.
If you are serious about your health and fitness, and are ready to invest in YOU, go ahead and schedule your FREE 20-minute consultation and let's chat!